Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 on which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon implemented and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Town was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a jail, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and set liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a problem and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Fire Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the young families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering enough time to milk cows so more time could be allocated to crops and canine care. Soon after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the warfare ended people were in a position to get their lives back again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. St. Joseph Missourr Along with the depression effecting every person in town, read more the city needed to adhere together more than ever. Through a federal government grant, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially got into the US into World Warfare 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph possessed a human population of around 1050, losing 10 heroic troops to the warfare. The community remained strong and ongoing to increase the Village, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus here a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its drinking water supply, and continues to do so.